Debt Recovery Pricing and Service Information
Although we specialise in undertaking complex litigation and dispute resolution on behalf of our clients, occasionally they ask us to undertake debt recovery against disputed and (more unusually) undisputed debts. We only act for corporate clients.
Where we are asked by our exclusively business clients to recover debts or debt portfolios on their behalf we will work with that client to build a bespoke fee structure for that recovery work.
With any piece of litigation it is very difficult to provide complete certainty in terms of costs because the Court process can be complicated and the costs can increase as a consequence of the detail of the debt and the actions of the other party.
However, in order to provide as much clarity as we can, we set out below the range of our expected costs for County Court claims up to £50,000 where the Claim is undisputed. We have assumed that Court proceedings are necessary, where they are not, the costs will be less than set out below. The variations are dependent on the value of the claim as Court fees for claims worth less than £10,000 are staggered.
If the other party disputes your Claim at any point, we will discuss any further work required and provide you with revised advice about costs if necessary, which could be on a fixed fee (e.g. if a one-off letter is needed), or an hourly rate if more extensive work is needed.
Undisputed debt claims are handled at Taylors by a range of our qualified staff including Carole Bullock who is an experienced Chartered Legal Executive whose current hourly rate is plus VAT £200. Charlotte Barron who is an Associate Solicitor at £225 plus VAT per hour. Stuart Beatson who is a Partner at £250 plus VAT per hour.
For single debt value up to £5,000
Court fee £35-£205
Our fee approximately £400 (plus VAT)
For debt value £5,001 – £10,000
Court fee £455
Our fee approximately £500 (plus VAT)
For debt value £10,001 – £50,000
Court fee £5% of the value of the claim
Our fee approximately £500 – £2,000 (plus VAT)
Anyone wishing to proceed with a claim should note that:
- For claims up to £10,000, cost recovery is limited to Court fees and fixed solicitors fees of £72-£195, depending on the value of the claim, the method of service and the circumstances of the judgment. For claims over £10,000 it is possible to recover more in respect of solicitors fees, however this is at the discretion of the court.
- If a claim becomes disputed we will of course advise you of the likely costs that will be incurred and agree substantive costs with you before they are incurred. However, defended cases are difficult to predict and even for claims worth less than £50,000, the costs are likely to be in the region of £10,000 – £40,000.
- The VAT element of our fee cannot be reclaimed from your debtor.
- Interest and compensation may take the debt into a higher banding, with a higher cost.
- The costs quoted above are not for matters which are defended or where enforcement action, such as the bailiff, is needed to collect your debt.
Our fee includes:
- Taking your instructions and reviewing documentation.
- Undertaking appropriate searches.
- Sending a letter before action.
- Receiving payment and sending onto you, or if the debt is not paid, drafting and issuing claim.
- Where no Acknowledgment of Service or Defence is received, applying to the court to enter Judgement in default.
- Where an Admission is received, applying to the court to enter Judgement in default.
- When Judgement in default/in admission in received, write to the other side to request payment.
- If payment is not received within 14 days, providing you with advice on next steps and likely costs.
How long will it take?
Matters usually take 14 days — 4 months from receipt of instructions from you to receipt of payment from the other side, depending on whether or not it is necessary to issue a claim and the speed at which the Court is able to process your application. This is on the basis that the other side pays promptly on receipt of Judgement in default. If the claim is defended or enforcement action is needed, the matter will take longer to resolve.
Finally, clients who have regular problems obtaining payment from their customers should be aware that we offer a service to client’s requiring regular Letters before Action whereby standard form “demand for payment” letters can be sent at a fixed cost of £25 plus VAT. This often results in prompt payment from those debtors who have been managing cash flow, rather than facing insolvency.
Our Complaints Policy
We are committed to providing a high-quality legal service to all our clients. When something goes wrong, we need you to tell us about it. This will help us to improve our standards. Details of our Complaints Policy and contact details for the Legal Ombudsman can be obtained by clicking here